Level 3, equivalent to 3 A Levels (Extended Diploma) or 1 A Level (Extended Certificate).
Why should I study BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care?
Why should I study this subject?
These courses are specialist qualifications for students who wish to enter into a career in Health and Social Care. The Extended Diploma is a vocational qualification equivalent to THREE A-Levels, this is a full time course. The Extended Certificate in Health and Social Care is equivalent to ONE A-Level.
The Extended Diploma course includes a compulsory work placement unit.
What will I study?
You will study the following core units over the two years of the course;
- Human Lifespan Development
- Working in Health and Social Care
- Meeting Individual Care and Support Needs
Your award will be completed by studying additional units, some of which include;
- Anatomy and physiology
- Personal and professional development – this unit is based on your work placements
- Sociological perspectives in Health and Social Care
- Psychological perspectives in Health and Social Care
What are the entry requirements?
Level 4 in English Language and a C in Science.
What skills do I need?
You need to be:
- Able to retain information and apply this to exams.
- Be self-disciplined and willing to work on assignments in your own time.
- Be able to plan your time effectively to meet different deadlines.
- Be able to work independently and in an organised way and have excellent written and oral communication skills.
How will I be taught?
Internally and externally, internally is coursework marked by teaching staff. Externally is an exam marked by BTEC.
STUDENTS MUST ACHIEVE A PASS IN ALL EXTERNALLY ASSESSED UNITS TO PASS THE COURSE.
Extended certificate – 2 external assessments
Extended Diploma – 4 external assessments
How will I be assessed?
What will the course prepare me for?
This course will allow you to progress to a career in Health and Social Care and onto further study at university.
How much private study should I expect to do?
You will be expected to do at least 6 hours private study a week.
What materials will I need to purchase?
Pens, paper, lever arch folder, plastic wallets. For work placements you are expected to buy a college polo shirt.
What is the exam board?
This subject is for you if…
you are self-motivated, you like doing coursework and you are interested in working with people.
This subject is not for you if…
you do not perform well in exams, you find it hard to be organised and you leave everything to the last minute.