BTEC EXTENDED DIPLOMA (3 A-Level Equivalent)
Subject Intent: Why Performance & Production Arts?
Through making, performing and responding to drama, students are given the chance to discover more about themselves, other people and the world they share. The drama and theatre curriculum aims to promote the individual’s shaping of their own identity through the experience of collective responsibility via teamwork, discussion and role-playing activities, which help them to comment on, reflect and define their culture and community as citizens of the world. The drama and theatre curriculum empowers young people to develop empathy, emotional intelligence, resilience and a strong social conscience, exploring ideas
in a safe environment. Through their appreciation and review of live theatre, students develop their analytical and evaluative understanding of their own and others’ contributions and ideas, enabling them to celebrate the richness and depth of human expression in all its forms.
Why should I study this subject?
The Level 3 Diploma and Extended Diploma in Performing and Production Arts are designed to provide students with the knowledge, skills and understanding necessary to access and progress to degree level study or employment in the performing arts. They provide an opportunity for those who have an interest in the performing arts to explore, develop and test their creativity within a qualification structure which is stimulating, demanding and provides a supportive transition from general to more specialised study.
What will I study?
• Units 1-4 An introduction to the skills necessary to explore their creative development.
• Units 5-7 Requires the student to apply their skills, knowledge and understanding in a series of production and performance assessments.
• Unit 8 Students will undertake a production and/or performance role in a performance. An examiner will watch the performance work.
• Units 9-11 (Just for Extended Diploma)-Opportunities to explore activities and competencies within performing arts. Students take further responsibility for their own learning and ambitions.
• Units 12 and 13 (Just for Extended Diploma)- Provide opportunities to refine the skills, knowledge and understanding appropriate to their future career path.
Studying Performing Arts at New College this past year hasn’t just improved my acting; it has pushed me out of my comfort zone, boosted my confidence and given me a great group of friends.
McAuley Catholic High School
What are the entry requirements?