Diploma – equivalent to 3 A Levels.
Extended Diploma – equivalent to 3 A Levels.
Why should I study this subject?
The Public Services course offers a vast range of opportunities for learning in and outside the classroom, with visits to the Prison Service, Police riot training events, Army residentials and water-based activities at Pugneys Water Park and Pontefract Swimming Pool.
What will I study?
- Government, politics and the Public Services
- Citizenship, diversity and the Public Services
- Leadership and teamwork in the Public Services
- Volunteering in the Public Services
- Understanding discipline in the uniformed Public Services
- Career planning for the uniformed Public Services
- Employment in the uniformed Public Services
- Police powers in the Public Services
- Aspects of the legal system and law making process
- Fitness testing and training for uniformed services
- International perspectives for the uniformed services
- Outdoor and adventurous expeditions
- Crime and its effects on society
- Command and control in the uniformed Public Services
- The Planning for and management of major incidents
- Responding to emergency service incidents
- Uniformed Public Service employment
- Understanding behaviour in Public Sector employment
What are the entry requirements?
What skills do I need?
Good punctuality and attendance, discipline, organisation, ability to meet deadlines, effective leadership skills, ability to work in a team and independently, forward planning, literacy and ICT skills.
How will I be taught?
Both in a classroom setting and in a practical environment, to gain ‘hands on’ experience of the Public Services practices.
How will I be assessed?
The course is assessed through a combination od coursework and exam.
What will the course prepare me for?
On completion of this course you could apply for a career in any of the Public Services, including the Police Service, Ambulance Service, Fire and Rescue Service, Royal Navy, RAF, Army, Customs and Excise or the Prison Service. Your Edexcel Extended Diploma, with a majority of units at Merit or Distinction level, could qualify you for officer entry. You can progress onto Higher Education after completing this course.
How much private study should I expect to do?
A minimum of 2 hours per week.
What materials will I need to purchase?
The compulsory kit package.
What is the exam board?
This subject is for you if…
you are looking for a career in the Public Services, you enjoy learning in a practical setting, and you are disciplined and can meet assignment deadlines.
This subject is not for you if…
you prefer to sit exams, you are not interested in pursuing a career in the Public Services, and you do not enjoy trips, visits and excursions off site.