Level 3, 1 A Level (WJEC Diploma).
Why should I study this subject?
Criminology is an increasingly popular subject for students who are interested in a career in criminal justice, or studying criminology at university. The subject explores why people commit crime, drawing on explanations from psychology and sociology, along with how society tackles crime through the law, policing and punishment. Students learn about different types of crime, how people’s perceptions of crime are shaped and how crimes are investigated. This course contains 50% coursework and 50% external assessment.
What will I study?
- Changing Awareness of Crime: types of crime, perceptions of crime and unreported crime.
- Media representations of crime and of cial data on crime.
- Crime campaigns.
- Criminological Theories: Why do people commit crime? Theories of criminality from biology, psychology and sociology.
• Crime Scene to Courtroom: the criminal
• Crime and Punishment: law making, criminal justice, forms and functions of punishment.
What are the entry requirements?
Level 4 in English Language.