apply

BFI success for NCD student

New College Doncaster Film and TV student, Mary Manyika has successfully been chosen to take part in the prestigious documentary film-making residential programme with the BFI Film Academy.

This is an amazing achievement as there are only 40 places available from hundreds of applications. Mary will be part of a residential programme in London across February half-term and work in a production team with other participants from around the country to produce a documentary to be screened at a London cinema. She will be given masterclasses from five-time BAFTA winning producer Adam Tyler and director Tom Costello, as well as BAFTA nominees Marta Shaw (Ross Kemp’s Extreme World), Andrew Hulme (The Imposter) and producer Clare Johns (BBC Panorama).

“It’s an amazing opportunity for me to be able to work alongside the BFI,” said Mary. “The residential will give me the chance to meet BAFTA winning producers and directors to help me further develop my passion of film and TV, in particular documentary film-making. This is something that I never thought I’d be able to do, so thanks to New College Doncaster for giving me the opportunity to apply and also to my peers encouraging me to go for it – I’m so glad I did!”

Lee Trueman, Head of Visual Arts, Film and Media at New College Doncaster, echoed Mary’s comments. “It’s a really great opportunity for one of our Film and TV Production students to be invited onto the BFI’s residential programme. We’re establishing links to the industry all the time at New College Doncaster, and this just shows how much external organisations value the quality of our students.”

The BFI Film Academy provides opportunities for talented and committed young people between the ages of 16–19 to develop new skills and build a career in the film industry, no matter where they live or what their background. An intensive programme of practical workshops in documentary filmmaking as well as trips, masterclasses and Q&As. The BFI is the UK’s lead organisation for film, television and the moving image, and is the distributor of National Lottery funds for film.

Mary Manyika

New Collaborative Learning Trust New College Pontefract Logo New College Doncaster Logo New College Bradford Logo Wingfield Academy Anston Greenlands Primary School Redscope Primary School Thorpe Hesley Primary School
Ofsted Outstanding Logo
Teaching School Hub Barnsley and Doncaster Logo
Disability Confident Employment Leader
TASS Dual Career Accredited
SCL Sports Leaders Logo
Investors in Diversity Logo
Proud to be Fredie, fairness in the workplace  Logo

Click here to login to

Cedar Logo