Subject Intent: Why Photography?
Photography offers students a diverse range of skills from learning how to use DSLRs manually to an in-depth experience in the black and white darkroom. Students gain a broad knowledge in critical analysis developing thoughtful and conceptual ideas, expressed in still images. The curriculum is designed to encourage and develop their technical skillset to mature as photographers and to bridge the gap between technical understanding
and creativity. Students are taught professional practices to aid them in further education and employment.
Why should I study this subject?
If you are inspired to capture the world around you and always have your camera to hand, if you are always on the look out for vibrant colour combinations, intricate textures, delicate lighting, and a quirky composition, then this course is for you. We invite students who are curious and willing to learn, not just how to frame a good shot, but also how to use your camera settings to achieve professional photographs with real impact. This creative photography course covers a range of digital and traditional photographic techniques. In Year 12 the course is structured to develop the skills needed both technically and conceptually, and in Year 13 you will have more freedom to develop your own individual skills and interests. You must have a passion for creativity and for taking lots of photographs, always being alert to the possibility of a great photographic opportunity at any time.
What will I study?
• Composition: How to frame an image and create visually exciting photographs
• Digital photography: The functions of a digital camera
• Digital manipulation: Use of Adobe applications to correct and alter images
• Studio and location photography
• Darkroom photography: How to use a traditional 35mm film camera and how to develop and print photographs
• How to present your work creatively in both digital
• How to critique your work and that of others
• How to best communicate concepts and meanings to your viewer
I have achieved things creatively that I never thought I was capable of. The guidance and support has given me the confidence to apply to Leeds Art University.
The Elizabethan Academy
What are the entry requirements?
Please refer to our Course Specific Entry Requirements table here